A federal appeals court has dealt another blow to President Donald Trump’s executive order temporarily restricting travel from six Muslim-majority countries.
The Virginia-based 4th Circuit Court of Appeals on Thursday largely upheld a lower court ruling barring the administration from suspending visas from those countries. The Trump administration previously revised the executive order to better hold up to legal scrutiny than an earlier version did.
Trump has insisted that the measure is necessary to prevent possible terrorist attacks and protect national security. But opponents, and courts in previous rulings blocking its enforcement, have cited past statements from Trump and his advisors signaling that it may target Muslims.
The 4th Circuit ruling said it was “unconvinced” that the order “has more to do with national security than it does with effectuating the president’s proposed Muslim ban.”
Later Thursday, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in a statement that the Justice Department “strongly disagrees with the decision” and would “seek review of this case in the United States Supreme Court.”