Brain-eating amoeba kills Florida resident

Getty images
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry

A Florida resident has died after becoming infected with a rare brain-eating amoeba, officials say.

Health experts in Charlotte County, in southwest Florida, say the victim was probably infected after rinsing their nasal sinuses with tap water.

Naegleria fowleri infects the brain through the nose. Officials say that drinking it is not dangerous.

Infections are almost always fatal, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Officials have not identified the victim.

On 23 February, the Florida Department of Heath said that a patient had been infected “possibly as a result of sinus rinse practices” utilising tap water.


What Are Your Thoughts?


Chuck comes from a lineage of journalism. He has written for some of the webs most popular news sites. He enjoys spending time outdoors, bull riding, and collecting old vinyl records. Roll Tide!